closemouthed adj : inclined to secrecy or reticence about divulging information; "although they knew her whereabouts her friends kept close about it" [syn: close, closelipped, secretive, tightlipped]
- 1852 James Fenimore Cooper - Home as found
- As much so as possible; they have hardly a way that you would like, my dear ma'am; and are as closemouthed as if they were afraid of committing themselves.
- 2001 C. R. Anderegg - Sierra Hotel: flying Air Force fighters
in the decade after Vietnam
- Instructors were notoriously closemouthed about their gunnery techniques.
reticent, secretive or uncommunicative
- Chinese: 嘴严 (zuǐ yán)
- trreq Czech
- Dutch: niet spraakzaam, gesloten
- Finnish: vaitelias
- French: taciturne, peu bavard
- German: zurückhaltend, schweigsam, verschwiegen
- trreq Hebrew
- Hungarian: szűkszavú, hallgatag
- Italian: "che tiene la bocca chiusa"
- Japanese: 口堅い (くちがたい, kuchigatai), 口が堅い (くちがかたい, kuchigakatai)
- Portuguese: reticente, taciturno
- Russian: молчаливый (molčalívyj)
- Spanish: taciturno, callado
- trreq Swedish
brief, brusque, close, close-lipped, close-tongued, concise, curt, dark, discreet, dumb, economical of words, evasive, indisposed to talk, laconic, mum, mute, quiet, reserved, reticent, secret, secretive, shifty, short, silent, snug, sparing of words, speechless, taciturn, terse, tight-lipped, tongue-tied, uncommunicative, unloquacious, untalkative, word-bound, wordless